IAS Mains Previous Years Paper : Psychology (2008)
PAPER - I
1. Write Short Notes on any Three of the following (Each one should not exceed 200 words ) : - (20 � 3 = 60)
(a) "Poverty and level of economic achievement as a social problem can only be explained from the psychological perspective" Comment with relevant research studies.
(b) Bring out the differences in the concepts of growth, maturation and development in human behaviour. Use suitable example in your answers.
(c) "The level at which an information is processed has a bearing on recall of that particular information." Discuss in the light of experimental studies.
(d) "Grounded theory takes a case rather than variable perspective". Elaborate this statement.
2. Explain Bandura's theory using a suitable social learning task. Extend research support to your answer. (60)
3. Can Item Response theory be called a latent trade theory? Describe the mathematical functions that are used in this theory and explain the various models related to the theory. (60)
4. Using the procedure of programmed learning, how would you conduct 'anger-reduction' training for a group of individuals who have been assessed high on anger? The training procedure needs to be as per the instructional design model. (60)
5. Write short notes on any three of the following in about 200 words each: (20 � 3 = 60)
(a) What is the meant by 'echoic memory'? How long does this memory last? Discuss with experimental evidence.
(b) Describe the PASS model of intelligence and show the grounds on which it has challenged the 'g' theory.
(c) Describe pattern of attribution that are used by persons in supporting their interaction.
(d) "Artificial Intelligence and cognitive psychology have a symbolic relationship". Elaborate this statement.
6. Give a comparative account of 'Self 'as conceived by Adler and Rogers. (60)
7. Describe the phase of language acquisition and show how critical period hypothesis explains the process of language acquisition. (60)
8. "Representational knowledge can be investigating neurocognitively through the studies of amnesia" Elaborate this statement. (60)
PAPER - II
1. Write Short Notes on any Three of the following ( Each one should not exceed 200 words ) : - (20 � 3 = 60)
(a) Enumerate the methods of assessing validity of a personality inventory and highlight their significance.
(b) Distinguish 'alcoholism' from 'social drinking' and discuss the factors contributing to alcoholism.
(c) Critically evaluate the research finding relating to the influence of media on aggression and violence.
(d) Discuss the salient features of behaviour therapy. Comment on its applicability to the Indian Community.
2. Describe the various techniques used in improving memory. Discuss their merits and demerits for teaching students in undergraduate courses. (60)
3. Explain the nature and advantages of client centered therapy. Critically evaluate its utility in treating various psychological problems. (60)
4. Discuss the psychological and cognitive problems of AIDS patients. Explain the facilities essential for their rehabilitation. (60)
5. Write Short Notes on any Three of the following (Each one should not exceed 200 words): - (20 � 3 = 60)
(a) Describe various psychological factors contributing to violence. Suggest strategies to be used for rehabilitation of the victims.
(b) Discuss the psychological effects of noise pollution. Support your answer with recent research finding.
(c) Discuss various rights of consumers. Critically evaluate the effect of consumer awareness on consumer behaviour.
(d) How can media contribute to prosocial behaviour by applying principle of psychology.
6. Discuss the role of information technology in the process of formal education. Critically evaluate its effectiveness for motivating a learner. (60)
7. Discuss and critically evaluate the contribution of military psychology in defence. (60)
8. Discuss the contribution of David McCleland in the field of motivation. Discuss the salient feature of conducive environment for enhancement of achievement motivation. (60)