(more content follows the advertisement below)
N.B. All answers must be written in Pali language in Devanăgarî or Roman
1. Origin and Homeland of Păli and its characteristics.
2. Păli Grammar-(I) Technical Terms of Păli Grammar-Akkhara, Sara, Vyańjana,
Niggahîta, Năma, Sabbanăma, Ăkhyăta, Upasagga, Nipăta, Abyaya, (II) Kăraka,
(III) Samăsa; (IV) Sandhi; (V)
A D V E R T I S E M E N T
Ădhikărabo-dhaka-Paccaya); (VI) Etymological derivation of the following words
Buddho, Bhikkhu, Sămanero, Satthă, Dhammo, Latăyă, Purisănam, Tumhe, Amhebhi,
Munina, Rattîsu, Phalăya, Atthîsu, Rańńam, Sangho.
3. Translation of two Păli unseen passages into English.
4. Essays consisting of 300 words on any one of the following :
(a) Bhagavă Buddho, (b) Tilakkhanam, (c) Ariyo atthańgiko maggo, (d) Cattări
ariyasaccăni, (e) Kammavădo (f) Paticcasamuppădo, (g) Nibbănam paramam sukham,
(h) Tipitakam, (i) Dhammapadam, (j) Majjhimă-Patipadă.
5. Summary of Păli passages.
6. Explanation of Păli verses in Păli.
7. The meaning of following indeclinables (Abyaya and Nipăta)
and their use in candidates’ own Păli sentences :
(I) Atha, (II) Antară, (III) Addhă, (IV) Kadă, (V) Kittăvată, (VI) Ahorattam,
(VII) Divă, (VIII) Yathă, (IX) Ce, (X) Seyyathîdam, (XI) Vină, (XII) Kudăcannam,
(XIII) Saddhim, (XIV) Antarena, (XV) Kho, (XVI) Mă, (XVII) Evam, (XVIII) Ettha,
(XIX) Kira, (XX) Pana.
There will be two compulsory questions which must be answered in Pali
Languege in Devanagari or Roman Script. The remaining questions must be
attempted either in Pali or in the medium of examination opted by the candidate.
(i) Life and teachings of Buddha from the Păli sources.
(ii) History of Pali Literature-Canonical and Non-Canonical with reference to
the following books and authors:
Mahăvagga, Cullavagga, Pătimokkha, Dîgha-Nikăya, Dhammapada, Jătaka,
Theragăthă, Therîgăthă,Dîpavamsa, Mahăvamsa, Dăthăvamsa, Săsanavamsa,
Milindapanha, Petakopadesa, Nettippa-karana, Buddhadatta, Buddhaghosa and
1. Textual questions, critical comments and annotated translations would be
asked from the following prescribed texts :-
(i) Dîghă-Nikăya (Only the Sămańńaphala-Sutta)
(ii) Sutta-nipăta (Only the Khaggavisana-Sutta and Dhaniya-Sutta)
(iii) Dhammapada (Only the first five Vaggă-s)
(iv) Milindapanha (Only the Lakkhana-panha)
(v) Mahavamsa (Only the Tatiya-Sangiti)
(vi) Abhidhammattha-sangaha (First, Second and Sixth Chapters)
(vii) Păli Prosody : Vuttodaya-Anutthubha, Indavajiră, Upendavajiră,
Vasantatilakă, Mălinî, Sikharinî, Upajati, totaka, Dodhaka, Vamsattha.
(viii) Păli Rhetoric : Subodhălankără -Yamaka, Anuppăsa, Rűpaka, Upama,
Atisayutti, Vyatireka, Nidassană, Atthanta-ranyăsa, Dîpaka, Ditthanta.
2. Short Notes on Buddhist concepts dealt within the prescribed texts.
3. Explanation of Păli Verses from the prescribed texts.